Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Letter to Bernardi

Dear Bernardi,

As I stayed up all night packing while you all were studying, I made sure I had everything I possessed. The clothes were the easy part, which basically consisted of me transferring them from drawer to suitcase. The souvenirs were simply enough aside from my constant worrying of weight limits as I added another and another and another… Other essentials, such as my laptop and other electronics, are basically a given and were accounted for since they were unpacked. Though this process was (for all intents and purposes) painless, I rechecked my room more times I wish to disclose.

Something was missing. Yes, I almost forgot my affirmation book but that wasn’t it. I feel like I am missing something big is missing. No, it was not the ten pounds I lost throughout the course of the semester. Well…I did have several jars of peanut butter weighing down my initial luggage but that isn’t it either. I searched the entire house for missing things and after a while, I accepted the fact that I probably didn’t forget anything. Before I knew it, the clock struck 3:00am and I was leaving at 4:45am. I had planned to do this so don’t worry Mom!! (Because I know you’ll read this)

I planned to do a Holy Hour in the middle of the night and 3:00-4:00am seemed like it would make the most sense. I’d be done with packing and writing affirmations for people by then and people weren’t planning on waking up to send me off until 4:15 or so. So there I went into the chapel for possibly my last time ever so that I can spend one of my last hours in Rome and in Bernardi giving thanks to God for all the graces he’s bestowed upon me this semester. As I was praying, I finally realized what I forgot to pack. How could I forget!!

I left all of my spiritual baggage at the door the day I entered this community.

I shared with those around me at dinner this past Wednesday some of my graces from this past semester. I was expressing my mindset before coming to Bernardi. As I put it, “I came to change Bernardi but from the very beginning, I found that Bernardi changed me.” My fellow Bernardians, I truly had the time of my life here in Rome with you but I would be stupid to ignore the fact that every single one of you loved me and helped me open my own heart to allow you all in. I have been reflecting on why God placed me here with you all but that still remains unclear. What I do know is that I fell in love with and felt loved by you all. No words can possibly thank you all enough for what you’ve done for me. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!!

Photo credit: Emma Voelker
As I take my Transatlantic voyage back to the United States, I had more than plenty of time to read everything you wrote to me. Through the laughs, the almost tears, the unbelievably kind words and the memories you all shared with me, I have one thing to tell you all: I couldn’t have done it without you. The reason why I was able to smile everyday and express an ounce of joy was because you all reminded me of our eternal reason to be happy!! I believe it was Emily Hoffmann who shared the quote, “How can someone believe redemption if they don’t see a people redeemed?” My lovely friends, you are the people redeemed. Everyday I woke up to a community of people on fire with the love of Christ. Charity was being done left and right. Affirmations were thrown around more often than own actual names. Love poured out of every crevice of our Lungotevere home. When we feasted, we FEASTED. When we celebrated, we CELEBRATED.

How could I ever be anything but happy knowing that I’ll wake up every day for the next four months with people who embody the greatest joy man will ever experience?? All your actions of love were the fuel to my happiness. So really, it is I who should be thanking you!!

Thank You Ladies

Photo credit: Emma Voelker
Where do I even begin with you women? Two quotes come to mind.

Every time I was sitting at a table of all women, Anna would always say, “Brandon. Blessed are you among women.” She couldn’t have said it any better. I really was blessed to be surrounded by you lovely ladies. You all did these small acts of service throughout the semester that were completely unnecessary but made me feel so much more loved. I was flipping through one of my notebooks as I was moving out and I saw at the top of one of the pages, written by one of you, it said, “You are loved.” Your actions were enough to prove that but just seeing that written on the page moved my heart deeper than I can express.

The second quote came from one of the great priests we met this semester. It went something like, “Here, right in front of us, are the 14 most beautiful woman in all of Rome.” Do I even need to explain this further?

Thank you ladies. I am filled to the brim with joy to have you as Sisters in Christ!!

Thank You Seminarians

Photo credit: Emma Voelker
When I was told I was going to be on a floor of 15 seminarians and one former seminarian, I was pretty terrified…I’m not gonna lie!! Though I initially responded with nervousness, flying with you all on the group flight to Rome and when we went to St. Peter’s that first day we arrived quickly eased this fear. Over time, I developed fear of you all for other reasons!! ;)

You are all such holy men. Living in such close proximity with you all really helped me grow as a man and gave me some of the best conversations of my life. You embraced me into the community as if I had been around for years and I greatly appreciated that. Sure, I was woken up sometimes by your getting ready at ungodly hours but that was seriously brought joy to my heart. Being woken up because you were heading to Mass or to do a holy hour was an inspiration if anything!! If these men are going to be the futures leaders of the Holy Catholic Church, I was confidence that our world will soon be filled with more grace than it has use for!!

Thank you for listening to God and responding to his call. You are men of courageous faith!! 

Thank You Fellow Laymen

Photo credit: Emma Voelker
The Few. The Proud. The Laymen.

There were four of you (excluding me) but that didn’t mean your impact on my semester was in any way less then everyone else!! It was a blessing to go through formation with you and to form a fraternity that grew closer as the time passed. All four of you made your love for Christ so evident yet every one of you had a unique difference from the next. No two of us were the same and that brought to life how true fraternity isn’t about common traits but rather common end. We all focused our energy to serve God in our own capacity and that is what brought us together.

I will walk away from this semester understanding what it is to be a man because of you guys. Our conversation will remain at the forefront of my mind all summer if not longer. Your genuine care for me will remain in my heart forever. All the memories we shared have been ingrained into my soul by now.

Thank you for showing the world that a young man can love God regardless of his vocation!! You are some holiest men I know as well. I am honored to have spent this semester will each of you.


So, though I left all that spiritual baggage in Rome, I am bring something even bigger. As I reenter the United States, I am bring back a family of 34 brothers and sister in Christ. If Facebook would allow me, I would list all of you as siblings with the exceptions of Jim and Paul, but only because they don’t have Facebook!

I hope your last final went well!! You can be assured that prayers will be coming your way for as long as I live and if I were made a saint before you all, you can totally count on my intercessions :)

Your Brother in Christ,

Brandon Isaac Miranda

P.S. Since Rome has ended for me; this blog has come to an end as well. Thank you so much for reading my ramblings!! Please pray for me as I try my best to absorb and apply these past four months.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment