Friday, March 1, 2013

Sede Vacante

I never thought I would be here for this but the Lord has a different plan for me and all of us here on our pilgrimage in Rome. As of yesterday, February 28th, at 7:00 PM CET, Pope Benedict XVI, 265th Successor of St. Peter, has become Pope Emeritus, a title we have not seen in over 600 years. To be honest, it is kind of awkward to know that our formal Holy Father is has stepped down to make way for whoever the Church needs at this moment. I have no doubt that Benedict is following the will of God, but I would be lying if I said I was not saddened by this all.

Papal portholes at St. Paul Outside the Wall
Since his announcement on February 11th, I really hadn't felt like much of this was real. I remember the day that Pope Benedict was announced back in 2005 and I grew to love him as my faith grew. He was the pope during my reversion. He was the pope as I grew into spiritual maturity. The thought that he was no longer going to be the Supreme Pontiff was far from setting in. To think that soon another another man's face will fill the porthole to the left of Benedict soon. Was any of this possible?


I have been here for almost a month and I have already experienced the joy he brings to his flock. People are happy to see him as he waves out to the crowds at his audiences. He has inspired so many to pick up the torch of faith and set the world on fire with the love of Christ. I attended his last audience and it did not feel like this was REALLY the last time we would see him on that stage tending to his flock. 

Image from Charlotte Observer
It wasn't until we went to the Square to prayer Vespers and a rosary at the clock struck 7pm that things started to get real. After being interviewed by a reporter in Spanish by a reporter from Nicaragua (whole story in itself), I went off to pray and soon we were surrounded my reporters snapping pictures of us. We were also joined by many people passing by who hesitantly approached us and nervously joined us as we prayed the rosary. As our candles burned on, a crowd had formed around us mostly in prayer. As we knelt on the ground and heard Fr. Carola read Benedict's last statement from Castel Gandolfo, it was about time. I will never forget the tolling of those bells. At every toll, reality started to hit me one brick at a time. We all started to chant the Salve Regina as the bells continued to toll. We no longer have a man to call pope.

We have officially entered Sede Vacante, or Vacant See. The Church is without a Holy Father.

Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment