Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Coronation of Pope Francis (How I wish...)

Before I give you a recap of the Inauguration Mass, let me go on my rant. Since I heard of Benedict's resignation, I have been half joking about how I want the next pope to bring back the papal tiara. HALF joking is not the term I should be using. NOT joking is more like it. Hearing of Pope Francis' humble ways, I knew my dream will have to wait but I will slowly accept that. Doesn't make me love him less!!

Photo Credit: http://orbiscatholicussecundus.blogspot.it/2012/04/paul-in-tiara.html
With the election of Pope John Paul I in 1978, he decided to discontinue the practice of having a "Papal Coronation Mass" which is now "Investitures Mass". This tradition started in the 8th century and the last pope to use the tiara was Venerable Pope Paul VI (depicted above) who was the pope during the Second Vatican Council. It was there where he "descended the steps of the papal throne in St. Peter's Basilica and ascended to the altar, on which he laid the tiara in a dramatic gesture of humility and as a sign of the renunciation of human glory and power in keeping with the renewed spirit of the Council" (Wikipedia). Since that moment, no pope has resumed this centuries-old tradition. 


I think these things are absolutely stunning but I GUESS I can understand why they were discontinued.  The Church has bigger worries than having EPIC head wear for the Holy Father. Creating such a tiara would cost an unnecessary amount of money, unless you go the papier-mâché route like Blessed Pope John XXIII did... Anyways!! Back to the actual topic of this post: Pope Francis' Inauguration Mass!!

In typical Bernardi fashion, we woke up around 4:30 to be out the door by 5:00 am. In usual Brandon Miranda fashion, I woke up at 5:20 to leave with a group leaving at 5:30 am. The streets were empty but lines had already formed near St. Peter's Square to enter the papal Mass. The announcement was made the day before that only clergy, other denominations' leaders, world leaders, and seminarians will have seats if they were available. The laity would 100% be standing in the Square, unless of course you happened to be the Vice President of the United States or the former Speaker of the House...


As usual, we made our stop at the 24-hour bakery to get our cornetti fix. With two bombe and two ciambelle in hand, I was ready to face the day!! We arrive at the Square at around 6:15 for a 10:30 am Mass. Yes, we are that crazy.

We have a decent spot but the earlier group draws us to a closer spot behind barricades. I drank all my water and decided to go fill my bottle back up in the Square's center but discovered that I could not return to my group. The Swiss Guard stopped me and said in choppy English "no enter if no ticket." OKAY Swiss Guard. I just spent the last two hours sitting in your ticketed section which...SURPRISE!! There were no tickets for this event. I did what I learned from my father and started him down without moving in the slightest. HE tried to ignore me but eventual he turns and gestures for me to enter. VICTORY!!!


Before the Mass starts, Pope Francis comes out and greets the crowd. THE CROWD GOES WILD!!! People were running towards the barricades to try and get as close as they can to the Holy Father. As you have probably heard, he stopped and got off to kiss and blessed a disabled man in the crowd. It was evident that Pope Francis really cares about his flock. He embodies the Servant of the Servants of God!! Just as he came out to greet the crowd, he disappears back into the interior of the Square to prepare for Mass.


The Mass was great as always. With the readings in English and Spanish, I was able to understand the Word of God in languages I can comprehend. The Gospel was in Greek which was interesting but awesome!! All the ceremonial presentations of the papal vestments given to Pope Francis were beautiful. Everything was reverent and great. Seeing the Successor of St. Peter saying Mass for the second time since I've been in Rome was as grace filled as ever. I enjoyed every second and continued to fall deeper and deeper in love with the Church.

The time came for the Mass to end and it was clear to me that the Church will have some great years to come. Pope Francis will be our Holy Father for several decades hopefully and he will be the beacon of faith this world needs right now. This is the man that will inflame the hearts of many as he leads the Church on a path of holiness. His devotion to our Blessed Mother and to her son and our Savior Jesus Christ will hopefully inspire many to love them too. The future looks bright from my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment