Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"The walls of my town, they come crumbling down"

After some worries that this wasn't going to happen (though I was 100% in my mind), dreams became reality. Was I really here? And in FLORENCE? Yes. You may think I speak of a papal election (been there, done that) or something but no. I am at a Mumford and Sons concert...in Florence!!


I need to return to Florence because there is A TON of beautiful Renaissance Era artwork and world-renowned churches but the only thing I got around to doing was going to Mumford and napping. We stood in line for more hours than I can remember playing Ten Fingers and such other activities. At first, the crowd looked incredibly small for a Mumford and Sons concert then I remembered: I'm in Italy! No Italian actually shows up early for anything.

Once those gates opened to enter Nelson Mandela Forum, it was the purest of all chaos. People were full on sprinting towards the Forum. I had twisted my ankle before Pope Emeritus Benedict's last audience so running and me don't get along at the moment. Luckily, I had Emily Brom in wedge heeled boots running with me at my speed :)

We had quite an international crowd with us in that Forum. Chants of "Moom-Faird" arose and it took me a couple of seconds to realize they were trying to say Mumford. It was a typical concert environment so not exactly a fount of holy example but whatever!! I didn't expect anything more from a Mumford and Sons concert! The transcendent experience will kick in when those four men hit the stage and do what they do.  


The first opening act to hit the stage was Jesse Quin, who was very folky and from the UK. I felt bad for him because the crowd was just talking over his set and he wasn't very loud. From what I heard, he sounded good but I won't be hearing me play his music on KUST. He has very calming music and I am already tired from standing in line. I don't want to fall asleep for if he keeps playing, I'll be out cold before Mumford hits the stage!! But I will give him a second chance via iTunes to see if I change my mind.


The second opening act was Deap Vally, a Los Angeles based band of two INSANE women who were drinking straight hard liquor on stage. When I say these women were crazy, that is an understatement on my part. Any ounce of tiredness in me was pounded out by the blaring rock music that poured forth from the amps. These women, as crazy and psychotic as they make have been, were extremely talented. I will most definitely play them on KUST if Emily lets me. They were a riot but the crowd started getting antsy and started to beg for Mumford to come out while they were playing. These women just drank more and carried on.


 Finally, Mumford and Sons hit the stage and went straight to it by opening with "Babel", which got the crowd pumped for every second to follow. If you are interest here is the setlist:

  1. Babel
  2. I Will Wiat
  3. Whispers in the Dark
  4. White Blank Page
  5. Holland Road
  6. Timshel
  7. Little Lion Man
  8. Lover of the Light
  9. Thistle & Weeds
  10. Ghosts That We Knew
  11. Hopeless Wanderer
  12. Roll Away Your Stone
  13. Dust Bowl Dance
  14. Where Are You Now?
  15. Winter Winds
  16. The Cave
Aside from the drunk/high crowd and the constant pushing and the sardine packed space and the shouts that were singing along, the concert was AMAZING!! Mumford and Sons are truly musicians and have a gift that few possess. I think an outdoor venue would have served the environment better but I take what I get and appreciate it!! I'd suggest to anyone I meet to try and see Mumford and Sons live because they are truly something else.

As the night continued on, we walked out in peace and happiness that Mumford and Sons had just performed a wonderful concert. It's moments like these that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Photo Credit: Emily Pohl

No comments:

Post a Comment